Newbies to Chicago’s suburbs are increasingly stowing cars and slipping into walking shoes.
By: Danielle Braff, Chicago Tribune
May 17th, 2018
Marty and Mary Jo are downsizing from their home in Chicago to a brand new three-bedroom condominium at Kelmscott Park. The couple is looking forward to exploring Lake Forest with their French bulldog and being within walking distance to restaurants, shops and Lake Michigan. They were drawn to Kelmscott Park because of its convenient downtown location and the ability to customize finishes, making their new place feel like home.
Upscale finishes, elegant floor plans and lush landscaping highlight Lake Forest’s first new large-scale residential community in a decade
LAKE FOREST, ILL., July 18, 2016 – Northfield-based Focus Development and its exclusive sales and marketing representative, @properties, announced the start of sales for Kelmscott Park, a new maintenance-free community of condominiums and luxury single-family homes in east Lake Forest. An on-site sales center featuring kitchen and bath vignettes, a scale model and renderings of the homes is now open.
Located at Laurel and Western avenues at the north end of downtown Lake Forest, Kelmscott Park’s for-sale offerings include 12 single-family homes and 42 condominiums.
- Five condominium floor plans have two to four bedrooms, 2.5 to 3.5 baths and 1,528 to 3,799 square feet. Each plan also includes a balcony or terrace, underground garage parking and separate storage. Additional garage parking and storage will be available for purchase. Starting prices for the condominiums range from $645,000 to $1.675 million.
- Single-family homes are priced from $1.459 million to $1.625 million and feature two floor plans: the Mayfair and the Beckett. The Mayfair offers three bedrooms and 2.5 baths with 3,068 square feet, while the Beckett features three bedrooms, 3.5 baths and 3,695 square feet. Both plans have a first-floor master suite, den, full unfinished basement and attached 2-car garage.
Kelmscott Park marks the condominium development to be built in Lake Forest in nearly a decade, according to Tim Anderson, president of Focus Development.
“This is an rare opportunity for homebuyers to purchase new construction in a highly sought-after North Shore community, and to work with our team to design their home or condominium to suit their tastes and lifestyle,” said Anderson.
Homes at Kelmscott Park will be outfitted with a variety of upscale features and finishes, including: 9-foot ceilings, 5-inch wide hardwood oak flooring in living areas and kitchens; custom-built floor-to-ceiling kitchen cabinetry; Sub-Zero, Wolf and Asko stainless steel appliances; stone countertops; Kohler kitchen and bath fixtures; and natural stone tile in master baths. Standard finishes can be viewed at the sales center.
“When it comes to maintenance-free living, the age-old debate on the North Shore is, ‘Do I choose location or do I choose new finishes and amenities?’ The options have been really limited. Kelmscott Park checks both of those boxes, but also offers extensive green space within walking distance to a vibrant downtown,” said Mike Golden, co-founder of @properties.
Designed by Chicago-based Booth Hansen Architects, Kelmscott Park will feature Arts and Crafts-inspired exterior architecture complemented by transitional interiors. The architecture is complemented by lush landscaping designed by Lake Bluff based Mariani Landscape.
The Kelmscott Park sales center is located at 1080 N. Western Ave. in Lake Forest, and is open Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday from 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM or by appointment. For more information about the community, visit www.kelmscottpark.com or call 847-234-1800.
Kelmscott Park at Laurel and Western to include single-family homes, condominiums and apartments; @properties tapped for sales and marketing
LAKE FOREST, ILL., April 11, 2016 – Northfield-based Focus Development has won final approval for Kelmscott Park, a new community of luxury single-family homes, condominiums and apartments located at Laurel and Western avenues at the north end of downtown Lake Forest. The development will be built on a 10.7-acre site with more than 50 percent of the area dedicated to open space.
Focus has hired @properties as its exclusive sales and marketing representative and announced that single-family home and condominium sales will start this summer. Interested buyers can join a pre-sales VIP list by registering at www.kelmscottpark.com or calling 847-234-1800.
“We’re thrilled to be back in Lake Forest, and we’re excited about a community plan that’s going to fulfill a number of area housing needs while bringing a dormant site back to life,” said Tim Anderson, president of Focus Development. The company’s first development was a 30-unit townhome and condominium project in Lake Forest in the early 1990s.
The plan for Kelmscott Park includes:
- 12 maintenance-free (or zero lot line?) single-family homes – Buyers will be able to choose from four floor plans, with three to five bedrooms, 3.5 to 4.5 baths, full unfinished basements and attached 2-car garages. 3 of the 4 floorplans offered will feature first floor master suites. High-end finishes will include Sub-Zero and Wolf appliances, hardwood floors in living areas, custom kitchen cabinetry and natural stone master baths.
- 42 condominiums – The condominiums will be built in two separate buildings and offer two to four bedrooms, 2.5 to 3.5 baths, a balcony or terrace, underground garage parking and separate storage. Additional garage parking and storage will be available for purchase. Finishes will be similar to the single-family homes.
- 111 luxury rental apartments – One-, two- and three-bedroom luxury apartments will be built in three 3-story buildings and feature high-end finishes including granite countertops and stainless steel appliances. On-site amenities will include a fitness center, residents lounge and entertainment kitchen, landscaped terrace with seating, and onsite leasing and property management. . Pre-leasing for apartments are slated to start in Summer, 2017.[PROVIDE DATE].
While single-family home construction along the North Shore has returned to normal levels over the past few years, maintenance-free (or zero lot line?) homes and condominiums have been slower to reemerge, according to Michael Golden, co-founder of @properties.
“There is a lot of pent-up demand for the types of homes that will be built at Kelmscott Park. We’re expecting an enthusiastic response from buyers,” said Golden.
The name Kelmscott Park comes from Kelmscott Manor, the Cotswold, England retreat of William Morris, one of the founders of the 19th century British Arts and Crafts movement. Both the single-family homes and multi-family buildings at Kelmscott Park will feature subtle Arts and Crafts influences, while also promoting modern living with open floor plans, transitional interiors and high-end finishes.
“Morris saw Kelmscott Manor as a home in perfect harmony with its natural surroundings. Likewise, we’re trying to create a very special sense of place at Kelmscott Park. The development will be a point of pride not only for the people who live here but for the greater community as well,” said Anderson.
Focus has assembled a group of accomplished designers and builders to round out the Kelmscott Park team. The homes were designed by Chicago-based Booth Hansen Architects. Award-winning North Shore homebuilder Orren Pickell will work with single-family homebuyers to customize and construct their residence. In addition, Focus has hired Lake Bluff-based Mariani Landscape for design and implementation of Kelmscott Park’s intricate landscape plan, which includes a tree-lined boulevard entry and a series of connected pocket parks. Chicago-based interior designer Cheryl Souder will design the community’s model homes and the common areas and amenity spaces within the condominiums and apartments.
For more information, visit www.kelmscottpark.com or call 847-234-1800.